August 30, 2009

French Milk - Lucy Knisley


French Milk is a cross between a book, journal, travel memoir, comic and graphic novel - you get so much for your money!

I first heard about this book from (I think!) Iliana and although it sounded delightful I couldn't track down a copy in Australia. But, then on a trip to Sydney a few weeks ago for work I found a copy hiding in the travel section of Dymocks in the city - so I grabbed it quickly!

Through this book Knisley has shared the experience of 5 weeks living in and exploring Paris with her mum as they help each other to celebrate their Birthdays. The book is made up of drawings, quotes, journalling and photos which makes for a great, and varied, experience for the reader. I loved the way Knisley was so honest about her experiences and her thoughts - it really was like sneaking a look inside someones journal. The author was a little self-indulgent at times - but that's what being in Paris in your early 20's is for surely?? It didn't detract from the book for me.

As I am going to be in Paris for the first time myself in only a couple of weeks it was a great way to get me in the mood for this amazing city.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I had never heard of this book, it sounds a great mixture and perfect if you are planning a visit! I shall look this up next time I decide to head to france!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that you are going to France! It's a lifelong dream of mine - I shall get there, I shall!

This book looks totally frenchalicious - you're lucky to be in Sydney - imagine the treasure hunt I'm going to have to go to find one in Brisbane! :D

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

What an interesting book. I need to check into it. You will love Paris! It's wonderful. I can't wait to go back one day.

I hope you'll share your travels with us when you get back.

JoAnn said...

Sounds like the perfect book to read in preparation for your trip! It's going on my wish list right now. Have a wonderful time!

Karen said...

Hi Savidgereads - I had never heard of it before but I am glad I ran into it before my trip!

Hi Aimee - good luck finding a copy! I hope you get to go to France soon. Italy is actually my dream destination and I am determined to get there before my 40th Birthday.

Hi Holly - I am sooooo looking forward to my trip - and I am really looking forward to visiting Paris for the very first time.

Hi JoAnn - I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

Iliana said...

Yay, I'm so glad you got a chance to read this before your trip and that you liked it. I think one of my favorite parts is when she talks about the flea market they visited. I love visiting flea markets when I travel so I could relate :)

Karen said...

Hi Iliana - thank you so much for letting me know about this one!

Danielle said...

I have this as well. I'm not going to Paris anytime soon, so this will have to suffice. Have fun on your trip! :)

vvb32 reads said...

i enjoyed this one too. the illustrations make the memoir more special.