March 19, 2011

Into The Woods - Anna Krien


Into The Woods was one of the books on the recommended reading list for one of the courses I am currently taking looking at creative non-fiction. I can't say that I was all that excited about picking it up at first - the environment and nature are not things that I normally enjoy reading about, I know that is probably the most un-politically correct thing you could say in this day and age but I've said it!

I think it is a major strength of the author and the book she has written that I am now much more interested in this topic - and I have noticed myself not automatically tuning out when stories like this are presented in the media.

Into The Woods covers the story of the Tasmanian forests and the battle that is currently taking place (and has been taking place for some time now) between various groups interested in the forests for one reason or another. Krien has looked at the issue from every angle and has talked to key people from the different interest groups - environmentalists and conservationists, loggers and logging businesses, the government, local community members and she has included her own views and thoughts throughout the book.

The book is so well researched that I found myself diving into all sections of it - even the sections that quote numerous facts, figures and statistics. These sections are well balanced by the voices of the people Krien speaks with along the way. Although Krien's leanings and her own position are displayed at times this book feels balanced and fair - I felt very much as though the information was being put in front of me for me to make my own decision.

This book is a brilliant combination of fact and emotion - I am in complete awe of Krien's abilities as a writer and I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the craft of non fiction writing.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

Karen, Sounds like you're getting into some interesting reading with this course. I'm intrigued why you would pick this one out of your reading list, and what sort of decisions this book was asking you to make. Thanks so much for reviewing it - I'm definitely going to be looking out for it. I really do appreciate that you read such a variety of authors and offer your honest reviews.

Karen said...

Hi T - I think you would really enjoy this one. I think I chose this book because it was one of the most recent (only published last year), It is Australian and it was written by a woman - I wasn't necessarily thinking so much about the topic area.

Audra said...

I'm new to your blog (saw it listed on someone else's blogroll) and I'm so looking forward to more of your reviews. I love your honest review here -- I'm not especially excited about nonfiction about the terrible things happening in the world -- but I'm curious about this book now! Good creative non-fiction is captivating.

Audra said...

I'm new to your blog (saw it listed on someone else's blogroll) and I'm so looking forward to more of your reviews. I love your honest review here -- I'm not especially excited about nonfiction about the terrible things happening in the world -- but I'm curious about this book now! Good creative non-fiction is captivating.

Karen said...

Hi Audra - thanks for dropping by! Glad you liked my review - I will have to go over and checkout your blog too.

Unknown said...

Numpang share this info Obat Stroke and Obat Benjolan di Belakang Telinga then Obat Migrain Alami and thanks for permission and I hope this can be usefull for every one