November 14, 2009

Remarkable Creatures - Tracy Chevalier


Tracy Chevalier is one of my favourite authors and yet I was so disappointed by her latest book before this one, Burning Bright, that I didn't automatically rush out to buy Remarkable Creatures when it was first released.

I did finally give in though as I was hearing much better reports about Remarkable Creatures and all the reviews seemed to indicate that Chevalier had returned with a great novel.

Remarkable Creatures focuses on the lives of two very different women living in Lyme Regis on the English coast in the early 1800's, Mary Anning, a young working class girl with the knack for finding fossils or "curies" along the beach and Elizabeth Philpot, a middle aged, upper middle class single women who has been forced to move to Lyme Regis with her sisters from London after the death of her parents and the marriage of their only brother. The two women are connected by their shared loved and interest of the fossils - although their reasons for this love are very different. The finding of curies brings much needed money to Mary's struggling family while Elizabeth seems more interested in the historical and geographical significance of the finds - as well as the way they cause her to re-think many of the basic teachings and beliefs of her life.

The story is told from the viewpoint of Mary and Elizabeth in alternating chapters and I think this is one of the main problems I had with the book. Mary and Elizabeth are meant to have an enduring friendship and connection but for me I was never able to fully believe in this relationship and the strength it was meant to contain. I'm not sure if this was because I had to keep changing focus from reading the story from each point of view - the women never seemed connected in the narrative and so I could not connect their relationship. Unfortunately I think this relationship is obviously one of the standing points of the novel and because I wasn't able to connect with and believe in it the novel didn't quite work for me - even though I did enjoy (as always) Chevalier's beautiful writing style.

8 comments:

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

I know what you mean, I couldn't really get into this novel either, it just didn't grasp me like the others did ... I posted my review here. I wonder what Ms Chevalier is working on now??? I soooo hope it's the sequel to Falling Angels she once mentioned she'd probably write ...

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

ps: Oh, the review is here. :)

Karen said...

Hi Bookalicious - thanks so much for the link to your review. I would love for her to write a sequel to Fallen Angels - that is definitely one of my faves too.

Jodie said...

Oh dear I have been looking forward to this one just because it's such an underwritten subject. Perhaps I will start with the recent non-fic about Mary before trying this novel.

Anonymous said...

I havent read anything by Tracey Chevalier and think its time that I changed that. I have The Girl With The Pearl Earring on my TBR is that the best place to start?

This book sounds interesting though not compulsive.

Karen said...

Hi Jodie - lots of other people have really enjoyed this one so I'm not sure what you should do! I think if it is a topic you are really interested in it might be a good idea to start with the non-fiction.

Hi savidgereads - I think The Pearl Earring is her best book - although Fallen Angels is really great too and set in a cemetry if I remember correctly so it might be right up your alley at the moment with your new work.

Iliana said...

I loved her story Girl with a Pearl Earring but have read two others and each one I liked less. I'm still hoping I read another of her books though and love it as much as GWAPE... This one is on my radar but I won't get my hopes up too high!

Anonymous said...

Right here is the right webpage for everyone who would like
to understand this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really
would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin
on a subject which has been discussed for a long time.
Great stuff, just excellent!

Feel free to surf to my blog post diets that work