June 03, 2009

How To Give Up Shopping - Neradine Tisaj


For those of you who don't already know - I love to shop. Books certainly, but I also have a weakness for shoes, clothes, shoes, bags and shoes. I wouldn't go so far as to say I have an addiction - but there is a definite fondness there. My partner and I have been on a savings plan for our overseas trip later in the year and so some of the shopping joy has had to be cut back - painful but necessary. So, when I saw How To Give Up Shopping (or at least cut down) I thought this was the perfect read for me.

The author is an Australian woman working in the media industry and she is candid and open throughout the book about her shopping experiences. Tisaj states from the outset of the book that she is not a psychologist or a financial expert - the expertise she brings to the book is her experience of over-shopping and where that has led her. I found the book honest and easy to connect to - I identified with quite a few of Tisaj's stories and anecdotes (scarily so!) and the narrative style of the book made it quick and easy to read. I can't say that I felt that any earth shattering or new advice was put forward in relation to cutting back on shopping habits but then maybe that's not the complete point of the book. It did make me think about my shopping and the place and space it takes up in my life - and what I could be spending my money on if I didn't have so many pairs of shoes!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

and what I could be spending my money on if I didn't have so many pairs of shoes!

more books?!!!

Anonymous said...

Like yourself, I'm saving to go overseas and trying to cut back on my shopping (including and especially books). I'm finding it quite difficult!

Samantha said...

Do what I did and buy some kittens (ostensibly for my daughters!) and love them so much that you stay home with them instead of going to the shops!

But seriously, anything that calls into question our consumer culture, even a little bit, is good for the soul in my books (pun intended).

Karen said...

Hi Farmlanebooks - so true!! Sometimes it is hard to decide between shoes and books!

Hi adevotedreader - It is hard isn't it?? I found that shopping was becoming more of a hobby than I really wanted it to be.

Hi Samantha - Ohhh - I would love some new kittens to play with! My boy is a grown up kitten now so his playing days are rare now!

Kim said...

Shoes? Books? Travel? Books about shoes? Books about travel? It is such a hard life - why can't we have it all?

Karen said...

Hi Kim - that is so true!! So many choices!

Tamara said...

Karen, how brave of you to pick up this book! Now, this is one of your books I'm not going to need to borrow. I'm so relieved. I know my weakness is travel, and I'm sticking to it for now!

verity said...

I think I need this to help me stop buying books....

Karen said...

Hi Tamara - it was brave to pick it up - but I think it is going to take more courage to stick to its principles!!

Hi Verity - I need help with that one too!