June 14, 2009

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen


Keeping in the spirit of my light and easy reading of late I picked up my copy of The Luxe which I have had on my shelf for a while now. I do enjoy reading young adult fiction and the gorgeous cover of this one had me interested right away. I must admit I didn't really have very high hopes for this book - I just thought it would be a nice gossipy, easy read for a cold, dismal weekend. It was a nice gossipy read but I also thought it was quite a good book overall (I've already picked up the second book in the series so it must have hooked me in).

The Luxe is set in New York in 1899 and starts with the funeral of high society girl, Elizabeth Holland who has died suddenly and mysteriously just days before her wedding to fellow high society member - Henry Schoonmaker. The rest of the novel takes us through the days leading up to this event - filling us in on other members of New York society and their secrets and relationships. I found the writing tight and well structured - even though the focus is on the relationships and crushes of 18 year olds I didn't think the writing became overly soppy (something that would have made me stop reading right away!). The writing and dialogue is by no means appropriate to the era in which the book is set but the author talks about her intentions behind steering away from this style in a special section at the end of the book.

Some reviews have talked about this book as being a cross between Jane Austen and Gossip Girl - it is definitely more Gossip Girl than Austen for me but I still really enjoyed this book - much more than I thought I would.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good review!
I've been wanting to read this for a while, mainly because the cover is just so gorgeous! But I was hesitant (Ironically, I always am when the cover is too good looking!)I hope you'll like the next ones too.

Kim said...

Sounds like perfect reading for a miserable wet weekend. I can't add another book to my 'look out for' pile just yet but, if I happen to stumble across it, then, oh well! The cover is so lovely I know I will recognise it.

Dot said...

Thanks for the review- I keep picking this up in book shops and putting it back down again! The cover is lovely isn't it!

Cath said...

This sounds just the kind of thing I'd like to take with me to the beach this weekend. And bonus: I can pass it off to my sixteen-year-old cousin. THANKS for the review!

-Connie @ Constance-Reader

Karen said...

Hi Infiniteshelf - I wouldn't hesitate any longer! Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Hi Kim - I think you would definitely recognise the cover if you see it - I dare you to resist!

Hi Dot - I would pick it up and give it a go!

Hi Connie - A great beach read I think. I'm putting my copy away for my god daughter - she's only 4 at the moment so it will be a while before she can read it!

Samantha said...

It is a lovely cover. I am a bit of a YA fiction fan myself but have been rather remiss in not reading any this year - well, maybe one if you count Butterfly (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

ps. I bought Madame Bovary in one of those lovely hardcover versions from Borders this morning and used my 25% off voucher - bargain!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

How can I resist that fancy dancy dress? I can't. I'm not sure if this is a book I'd like or not, but I've thought of picking it up so that I can then pass it on to my teenaged sister. Never seen Gossip Girl *shrinks in embarrassment*

Jodie said...

The pretty covers keep pulling me in but I've heard a lot of things about poor historical accuracy which keep me away. What did you think?

Karen said...

Hi Samantha - good book buying! Those books are just so beautiful.

Hi Trish - I'm more embarrased that I have seen Gossip Girl!!! I think it would be a book that your sister would love - that can give you an excuse for picking it up I think!

Hi Jodie - If you are looking for a book that is historically accurate than this probably isn't the book for you. However, having said that - it wasn't really something that bothered me all that much. It seems to me that the author has probably set the book in this time period for the fashion and to be a little bit "different" and stand out a little.

Anonymous said...

the cover is stunning! i'm always sucked in by covers...i can't resist. the book sounds like a quick read--something just right for a day at the beach. i'm going to see if my library has the luxe. thanks for the review!!

Karen said...

Hi booklineandsinker - you have it in one - a great beach read. I wish it was summer here so that I could have read my copy at the beach!