June 01, 2011

A Red Herring Without Mustard - Alan Bradley

A Red Herring Without Mustard is the third and latest book in the Flavia de Luce mystery series. I loved the first book in the series, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie but the second book didn't quite have the same magic for me - thankfully I stuck with Flavia (I just love that name!) because the latest book was much more enjoyable. There is definitely a formula at play here - something that would normally put me off a book/series - but in this case it is what I look out for - Flavia's precocious personality drawing her into the mysteries of her local village, Bishop's Lacey, and her blend of intelligence, curiosity and stubbornness leading her on to solving the crime. This novel starts to go even further into the personal life of Flavia and her family - and in particular the sudden and tragic death of her mother, Harriet when Flavia was just a baby. I feel this is only the beginning in regards to this particular part of the story and that future books are going to explore this more - something that will only add to the overall narrative and enjoyment for readers.

These books are light and easy to read - the perfect escape from a busy day. Apparently book number four is going to be out in time for Christmas this year so not long to wait for the next installment.

3 comments:

Audra said...

Oh, this is a new to me series but I have to say -- the name Flavia totally hooked me! I'm not always wild about series mysteries but now and then I get into them (like the Phryne Fisher series) -- I'm adding this to the TBR to start sometime when I'm in the mood for something familiar and comfortable.

Karen said...

Hi Audra - her name is divine isn't it?? I'm a big fan of the Phryne Fisher series too.

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform
are you using for this site? I'm getting tired of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

My page Best diet plan for women