June 22, 2009

Envy - Anna Godbersen


Envy is the third book in The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen and after devouring the first two books fairly quickly it was inevitable that I was going to move on to this one too.

Envy continues the story of the wealthy socialite families the Hollands, Schoonmakers, Hayes etc... etc... The girls are still seeking that ultimate love affair - and ultimate prize that goes along with that affair - a rich, influential, and hopefully attractive, husband. Some win the prize and others - well, they don't do so well.

The author has moved much of this book from the familiar setting of New York to Florida as the group goes on holiday. I'm not sure this change of scenery did that much for me - I couldn't really see the purpose in it apart from change for changes sake (and to show the fact that these people have so much money they can do what they like when they like) and I would have preferred the comfortable, well established New York setting to continue.

But having said that, I'm well and truly hooked into this gossipy story now and I will be joining in to read the fourth book in the series when it arrives.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the covers alone have sold me. it's so sad that i'm such a visual shopper! glad that the stories grab you, though! i'm putting these on hold at the library. thanks for the reviews!!

Serena said...

i love the cover of this book!

Karen said...

Hi booklineandsinker - I'm very much a visual shopper too. I always wonder about what great books I am missing out on by being this way. I think that is where blogging has been great - I've been able to get recommendations from others that I wouldn't normally pick up.

Hi Serena - the covers are definitely all gorgeous - they draw you in.

Tamara said...

Hi, I have learnt (from you mostly) the pain of ending a good book, wondering what next. And then the joy of picking up the next in the series. It sounds like you've found a good one for these cold winter weekends. How's the Lonely Planet going? I've just finished a fun book - a town like Paris. Thought you might like it.

Karen said...

Hi Tamara - thankfully I seem to be surrounded by wonderful books at the moment - perfection for me! Would love to hear more about that book...