February 14, 2009

Espresso Tales - Alexander McCall Smith


I think I am in love - Alexander McCall Smith has helped me find my reading groove again - I was starting to worry I might have lost it!

I have just finished Espresso Tales the second book in the 44 Scotland Street series and I have started the third book in the tale immediately - just can't get enough.

Espresso Tales continues the story started in 44 Scotland Street - a lot more of a focus on my favourite character, the gorgeous 6 year old star, Bertie (and unfortunately his overbearing mother, Irene!).

If you haven't read this series at all I would highly recommend it - it is a great reading escape without being frivolous or silly - just funny, honest writing and characterisation. My only fear is that after I read the 5 books in the series I will be grief stricken if there are no more!

6 comments:

Jules said...

I've read the Lady Detective series and I just loved it. I should find this one and read it I guess...

Karen said...

Hi Jules - I would definitely recommend it!

Steph said...

Is this one a mystery series like his No. 1 Lady Detective series? I tried the first book in his detective series a good while back and I found I just couldn't get into the writing for some reason. I'm curious about this series though, as McCall really seems to be quite prolific and well enjoyed by most!

Tamara said...

Karen,
I'm so glad you've found the reading groove again. Sounds like this series would be a great distraction from other readings one does in a phd..maybe when you reach the end of the series you'll be in a happy place for other books and wont even notice.

Mari said...

I have not read any of his books but this sounds like one I would enjoy!

Karen said...

Hi Steph - no this series isn't a detective series - more a collection of stories about people's daily lives. Sounds boring I know but it is so genuine and interesting.

Hi Tamara - I was thinking that - I'll just keep reading this series and this writer until I feel the urge to move onto something else. I'm sure it will happen.

Hi Mari - I would definitely give this author a go!