July 18, 2009

New Books


Even though I am being quite disciplined (for me!) and borrowing most of my books at the moment I have had a few lapses where I have just had to lash out and buy new books. Three of my new purchases have been:


1. The Wilderness by Samantha Harvey - I have heard nothing but fantastic things about this book (shortlisted for the 2009 Orange Prize) in the blogging world so I had been searching for it in local bookshops after finding that it wasn't in my local library. I finally discovered it but it was a hardcover copy for $52 AUS!!! Crazy prices!! So, thanks to The Book Depository I now have my own copy for less than half that price.

2. A Game of Hide and Seek by Elizabeth Taylor - I must admit that the gorgeous cover of this one did draw me in - but I had heard lots about this author as well and the storyline sounds like my kind of thing.

3. Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith - I discovered McCall Smith's books at the beginning of the year and just fell in love with his writing and his characters so I was very excited to see his brand new book in stores this week - of course a copy came home with me!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved The Wilderness! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Karen said...

Hi Jackie - I knew you were one of the people who enjoyed it so much which is one reason I was drawn towards buying it. The story sounds beautiful.

Paperback Reader said...

I really hope you love The Wilderness as much as we did.

Karen said...

Hi Paperback Reader - I hope so too! I'm fairly confidant that I will.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jackie and Claire, The Wilderness is wonderful and look forward to your review of it very soon!

Iliana said...

How fun to have new books to enjoy. I've read one of Elizabeth Taylor books and really liked it. I have a few more waiting for me too.

I'm about a book or two behind on the Ladies' Detective series so I need to get caught up. I really like those books.

Tara said...

The Wilderness sounds good - I'll look forward to your review of it.

Jodie said...

That's one of the prettiest piles I've seen in a while.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Three new books for me to add to my list. And they're all so pretty!

Samantha said...

My bookdepository addiction has grown and grown - I would probably now buy most of my books from there (I also received my copy of The Wilderness recently from there). You can't beat the prices and on hardbacks too!

Karen said...

Hi SavidgeReads - I don't think I have heard a bad thing about this book as yet! Sounds great!

Hi Iliana - McCall Smith seems to publish books pretty quickly so I can imagine it will always be hard to keep up with him!

Hi Tara - I hope I can get to it soon.

Hi Jodie - they are pretty aren't they? I know it shouldn't matter but beautiful books always draw me in.

Hi Holly - that is one of the great (and difficult!) things about the blogging world - there are always more books to add to the list!

Hi Samantha - I know!! They are great. I think a lot of my book purchases will come from there too now.

Danielle said...

I need to buy that Elizabeth Taylor, too...!!

Karen said...

Hi Danielle - I haven't started it as yet but I have enjoyed just staring at the cover!