December 17, 2010

Oprah Interlude


I have been a little absent from the blogging and general internet world over the past week or so. This week has been my last week at work before a two week break (yay!) so things have been pretty hectic and on top of that I also spent the first two days of the week in Sydney as I was one of the people lucky enough to score a ticket one of the shows being put on by Oprah on her recent trip to Australia.

I have been an Oprah devotee since my school and university days - and I've always been a close follower of her Bookclub and reading suggestions. It was an amazing experience to see her live on stage - she has such a presence and a warmth about her it is easy to see why some people go a little crazy when they see her (although I have to say as a mental health professional I was a little worried about the extreme reactions demonstrated by some people in the audience!!).

My best friend and I had a great time - and the diamond necklaces given out by Oprah as a gift to her audience was a very nice surprise!

I am also happy to see that Oprah's latest book club selections are two of Charles Dickens' most famous novels - A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. One of my reading goals from this year was to read more Dickens and with only a few days to go in 2010 I am way, way behind on this goal - so thank you to Oprah for giving me the much needed kick to get started on my Dickens reading!

6 comments:

Nadia said...

That is awesome! I love Oprah, too! What a cool experience and diamond necklaces to boot. WOW! They have been going on and on about her trip to Australia over here in the US and I can't wait to see it on her show. They also mentioned that Hugh Jackman got hurt when he was zooming down to the stage. What show were you in the audience for? Thanks for sharing. Its great to find another Oprah fan. Cheers!

Anbolyn said...

I'm not a huge Oprah fan, but I think it's pretty cool that you got to go to her show - and get a diamond necklace!

Karen K. said...

Both of those are wonderful Dickens novels -- and congratulations on scoring the Oprah tickets! That must have been fun. I'm not a regular watcher but I'll have to try and see it.

Tamara said...

What a buzz Karen - to see Oprah in our own Sydney... I wish you all the best with your Dickens [and other] reading before the end of the year - time is running out. Can you post a photo of your O necklace, as Im sure we'd all love to see it.

Karen said...

Hi Nadia - It was a very cool experience! I was in the audience that saw High Jackman have his flying fox incident - he was very good about it, he was obviously in a bit of pain but he just carried on like a true professional. I think Oprah was more worried about it than him!

Hi Anbolyn - There were certainly a lot of very huge Oprah fans in the audience!

Hi Karen - the Australian shows are going to air in January I think - I will definitely be watching!

Hi T - it was definitely a buzz! My throat is still sore from all the screaming!! I haven't got my necklace yet (they are sending them to us) but when they do I will definitely post a picture.

Marg said...

I used to spend a lot of time on the Books boards at Oprah, and have read some books that I otherwise might not have been brave enough to try like Faulkner and tolstoy. What a fabulous experience to get to go to the show. I dropped off watching a few years ago now, but I will make an effort to watch the Aussie shows.