May 14, 2009

Library Loot


More books picked up this week:


The Art of The Engine Driver and The Gift of Speed by Steven Carroll - after reading and loving The Lost Life last week Antipodean Owl suggested I might like Carroll's earlier work. These books are the first two in a trilogy set in the Australian suburbs from the 1950's - a very different time and space to The Lost Life but I fell so in love with Carroll's writing style I am definitely going to give them a go.


Man Walks Into a Room by Nicole Krauss - I have been meaning to pick this one up since I read The History of Love earlier in the year (still my favourite read of the year so far I think). I have a feeling this author won't let me down.


Graceling by Kristen Cashore - you are probably thinking this book is a little outside my normal reading areas - and you would be right! I actually picked this one up for my partner. He had seen it in a bookshop but as it was an export it was quite expensive so luckily our library has a copy. When I read the description of this one I actually thought it sounded quite interesting even though it definitely isn't the type of book I would normally read. Has anyone read/heard of this one?

6 comments:

claire said...

You and Steph currently have Man Walks on your tbr! I'm following you both when we move as the library there is better stocked. :D

Karen said...

Hi Claire - it is a great library!

Jodie said...

I've heard great things about Graceling - sounds like a fun and provocative read.

Steph said...

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on A Man Walks Into A Room! I last read A History of Love about 3 or 4 years ago, so it will be interested to see how our reactions to it differ!

Iliana said...

Ah, I didn't realize Nicole Krauss had another book before History of Love, which I thought was beautiful. Will have to look for this one.

By the way, I tried to look for some Steven Carroll books on BookMooch and those are hard to find. I'll keep looking though :)

Karen said...

Hi Jodie - It does sound interesting. As I said, it would not normally be my type of book but I just might give it a go.

Hi Steph - it will be interesting! Will let you know what I think.

Hi Iliana - I'm wondering if you are having trouble finding Steven Carroll books because he is an Australian author??