February 06, 2011

Holiday Change of Plans


My partner and I were supposed to spending this week in sunny Cairns but because of the horrendous weather in far Northern Queensland at the moment we have had to cancel our trip. We are disappointed not to be heading up north but we are grateful it is only our holiday plans that have been ruined and not our livelihoods or homes.

We are still lucky to be having a week away from work to spend time together doing lots of fun things - including reading of course!

I have a pile of books I will be working on during the week (see photo above).

From bottom to top they are:


A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth, I am still working my way through this epic. I'm now up to page 635 - so more than a third of the way through and am still enjoying the read - although am finding I need to take a break from time to time and read other things.


Stillwater Creek - Alison Booth, A popular Australian novel the sequel of which has just been published. I thought this one looked like a good holiday read.


Aphrodite's Hat - Salley Vickers, I am a big fan of Vickers's writing and this is her latest publication, a book of short stories looking at the theme of love.


Margaret Olley: Far From a Still Life - Meg Stewart, A biography of one of Australia's most famous artists - a book I have had on my shelf for a while now.


Five Bells - Gail Jones, The latest book from this Australian author which is told from the perspective of four different characters over the course of one day in Sydney.

3 comments:

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

I'd be interested to read about how you find Sally Vicker's new book. I can't decide whether I love her or just enjoy her. Happy Relaxing away from work.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about Five Bells. I've not read any of her other novels, but I'm hearing wonderful things about this one. :)

Karen said...

Hi Joan - I know what you mean! I have only read one of her books before but I do remember really enjoying her style of writing.

Hi antipodeanowl - I have just finished it - about to write my review!