September 11, 2008

Favourite Bookshops


A recent question posted by Australian based Mook (half magazine, half book) Dumbo Feather, Pass it On asking people to list and discuss their favourite bookshops around the world has me thinking.

Unfortunately I have to say that the town in which I live does not have a great selection of bookshops to go to, although our second hand bookshops are pretty good I have to say. I do make a trip to our Borders store quite regularly but it really doesn't offer such great variety - quantity yes but variety no.

So, I usually make a trip to Sydney for my book browsing and purchasing needs. One of my favourites there would have to be Gleebooks in Glebe Point Road. Gleebooks has a great selection of fiction and non-fiction, particularly related to my work area which is helpful. I love the feel of the shop too - chaotic, ad hoc and charming.

When we were in the UK last year I loved visiting the Waterstones bookshops - particularly the branch in Bath.

I don't like to think of myself as a bookshop snob at all - I will visit any bookshop, anytime anywhere! But I do try to support the smaller, independent bookshops when I can.

What about you? What are your favourites?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We have one used book store in the town I live it, however he gets his books from our library (which I work for)for 50 cents and $1 and then jacks the prices up. So I don't shop there. Thankfully in a near by town there is an independent book shop which is lovely. They are a real treasure since the nearest Borders is 45 minutes away. I go there every couple of weeks to see what's new. Gleebooks sounds great just the sort of place to get lost in for a couple of hours.

Karen said...

Hi Jennifer, Yes - Gleebooks can certainly take up a bit of your time! That's ok though - that's exactly how I like to spend most of my time when I can!