April 13, 2009

Library Loot This Week



I haven't participated in Library Loot for quite a while now - even though I have regularly been making collections from my library.


Today is my last day off before returning to the working world tomorrow so I made a trip to the library this morning and picked up the following:




Brick Lane by Monica Ali: This is a book I have been meaning to read for a very long time now and I have tickets to see Ali when she is speaking at the Sydney Writer's Festival next month so I thought it was about time I actually read this one!




The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris: Chocolat was a huge favourite of mine when I first read it a long time ago so I thought I would give the sequel a go. I might need to re-read Chocolat before diving into this one though.




The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite by Beatrice Colin: I have heard lots of great things about this book - and the title and the cover are so gorgeous how could I resist?




13 comments:

Savidge Reads said...

I havent read Brick Lane or The Lollipop Shoes though I have the latter, I need to read chocolate first. Asfor The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite... one of my favourite books of the year, just wonderful. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Karen said...

Hi Savidge Reads - thanks for the tip! Really looking forward to reading it now. You will have to read Chocolat - just gorgeous.

Nadia said...

Brick Lane is an amazing book - I hope you enjoy it.

claire said...

All books I'm craving to read! And yes, Lilly Aphrodite.. what beautiful title and cover. Enjoy!

Karen said...

Hi Nadia - That's great to hear! I haven't spoken with anyone who has read it as yet so it always good to get that feedback before you dive into a book.

Hi Claire, yes - I'm afraid I'm one of those people who does judge a book by it's cover!!

jspeyton said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog Karen! And I have to say, ditto what you said about my blog. I love making new book blogging buddies. = )

I hope you have a better time with "Brick Lane" than I did. It dragged for me when I read it. I liked the story. I think it was Ali's kind of stiff way of writing that did it. Anyways, never mind me. I hope you like it.

www.whosabiblioaddict.com

Anonymous said...

no library trips for me this week--i was away. i did get a few books in the mail during my absence and i'm looking forward to cuddling up with them--AFTER i finish my taxes. hee hee.

Karen said...

Hi jspeyton - great to see you over here! I will let you know how I go with Brick Lane - I can't stand books that drag so I will just give up on it if I find it like that I think.

Hi booklineandsinker - ahh tax time!

Eva said...

I love that last title/cover as well! I really enjoyed Brick Lane-read it a couple of years ago. :)

JoAnn said...

Brick Lane has been on my shelf for years...I really need to read that one!

Karen said...

Hi Eva - It is great isn't it? I think I would have been drawn to it even if I hadn't heard such great things about the book itself.

Hi JoAnn - I've got heaps of books on my shelves that are like that too!! And yet I still keep buying more...

megan said...

Brick Lane is a great read. Jealous that you're going to see her at the SWF, I don't think I'll make it to anything this year.

I really have to get myself to a library - I haven't really borrowed in years, but this year will be my year of the library!

Karen said...

Hi Megan, I've really only started getting back to the library in the last 6 months or so and it is great - I'm saving sooo much money! Although I am still buying lots of books...