January 01, 2011

Happy 2011!


Welcome to 2011 everyone! My partner and I had a lovely quiet night together at home for New Years Eve, watching DVD's and then the magnificent fireworks display over Sydney Harbour at midnight (I would love to be there in person next year).

I have taken the time to look over the reading goals/plans I set for 2010 here and I have realised that my reading personality probably doesn't really match with setting too many rules and guidelines!

The first two goals I set were around reading more Charles Dickens and also (finally) reading A Suitable Boy which I have been meaning to read for the longest time. Sadly I didn't manage to get to either of these goals! I am disappointed that I didn't read A Suitable Boy so I have made a commitment that this is the very next book I am going to pick up - it will be read in 2011!

In regards to some of my other plans I did manage to read and collect more cookbooks during 2010 and I certainly limited my involvement in challenges. So, I guess I wasn't a total failure!

I think what this has told me about myself is that there is really no point in setting reading plans and goals that are too firm or restrictive - I'm going to read how I want, when I want! And that's not such a bad thing. One of my favourite things about being a part of the book blogging community is discovering new authors and books that I would not have come across in any other way - I love this and I want to be able to follow my reading whims wherever they may take me.

Another factor to my reading this year will be my Masters in Communication degree which I will be starting in March - there will be plenty of prescribed reading involved in this so I think that it will be even more important for my reading for pleasure to take me wherever I feel like going.

Whatever happens in regards to my reading for this year I am very much looking forward to seeing where it will take me and hearing about all of your reading experiences along the way.

Happy New Year everyone and happy reading!

7 comments:

Iliana said...

Happy New Year Karen!

Tamara said...

I love the way you, and your blog, allow your reading choices to be influenced by reviews, your mood and the the weather.. Im glad you're not being too prescriptive - I think I will follow suit. Wishing you a fabulous blogginh year and all the best with your studies too. May the joy of reading remain part of your life even in the midst of assignments!

Karen said...

Hi Iliana - the same back to you!

Hi T - I will definitely have to keep my reading joy going to keep sane! KB without reading is just not KB!

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

For me that was why I loved your Paris in July month. It gave a focus but a loose one. I read books I'd been meaning to read and so enjoyed it. Happy New Year.

Karen said...

Hi Joan - I'n so glad to hear that you enjoyed Paris in July so much - hopefully we will be doing it again this year!

Simon (Savidge Reads) said...

Belated Happy New Year to you too!

Karen said...

Happy 2011 to you too Simon!