June 03, 2008

Orbis Terrarum Challenge Meme

1.) What country do you always go back to in your travels (not just while reading for OT)?

India - I'm not really sure why but I am drawn to this country and it's literature. I have a close friend who has travelled and worked quite extensively in India and I love hearing her talk about her real life travels in this country.
Also Japan - a country I am intrigued by and also the UK - because I think that's where I'm meant to be living!

2.) If you could visit 4 of the countries you have read about in your life (that you haven't been to yet), which would they be and why? (you can include the book that makes you want to visit if you remember)

1. India (because of the above)
2. Italy - any travel memoir makes me want to jump on a plane to Italy for the food the art and the history
3. Canada - because of all of Margaret Atwood's novels
4. Ireland - because of all of Marian Keyes books!

3.) Have you ever dreamed about a country you have read about, that you have never actually traveled to- except in your dreams?

I dream about flying and travel constantly so I'm sure I have but I can't pinpoint any countries specifically.

4.) In what ways has reading about different countries opened up your perspective about global issues?

A lot of my international reading is actually triggered by my desire to find out more about particular social or political situations and events in other countries so I think my reading definitely helps to expland my knowledge about global issues.

5.) What countries have you felt your judgment was off about-after reading about that nation?

Probably a lot of them! Again, can't think about a specific country except possibly India.

6.) Which is your favourite book that you would recommend for this challenge (you don't have to have read it during the challenge)?

"Careless" By Deborah Robertson is one I have read through this challenge that I would definitely recommend. It's my favourite book of the challenge so far. "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak is probably my favourite book of the moment though. I'm on a mission to promote more Australian authors to the world!

7.) I am thinking about hosting again, for a full year next time starting in January, do you have any constructive criticism, is one book a month about right...more? less? Give me some thoughts.

This is my first ever blogging/reading challenge and I must admit I am enjoying the shorter time frame and like the book a month pace. I would definitely be on board for a full year though.

8.) Anything else that you have been wanting to tell us all about? let us have it!

I've really been enjoying the challenge and "meeting" other OT readers along the way.

2 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I grew up in Cananda (Toronto) and it is beautiful--I hope you can visit one day! I am really fascinated by India as well--have you read Rushdie's Midnight's Children? It focuses a lot on the "birth" of India--a great book!

Karen said...

Hi Trish - definitely hope to get to Canada one day soon. My best friend and her husband travelled there a few years ago and she continues to rave about it!
Thanks for the book tip - I haven't read Midnight's Children but I will certainly pick up a copy soon.