June 28, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger


It is rare that I ever cry while reading a book - movies yes but it takes a lot for a book to make me cry for some reason but The Time Traveler's Wife did it. The Time Traveler's Wife is my 4th book completed for the Orbis Terrarum Challenge and I am so glad I decided to add it to my list.

I had actually tried to read the book a couple of years ago when we were travelling in Japan but I just couldn't get in to it then for some reason. When we got home I handed the book over to my best friend who finished it quickly and has raved about it ever since. I trust her judgement and we do usually like the same types of book so I gave it another go - thankfully!

The Time Traveler's Wife is the story of Henry, the time traveler, and Claire, the wife of the title. I think I was orginally put off reading the book because of the whole time traveling thing - I'm not much of a science fiction/fantasy reader and I really thought I would have to suspend some belief to get into the story - I didn't. The writing, the characters and the story all rang true and it is at it's core (I think) as one of the quotes on the back of the book states; "an old-fashioned love story" - and a beautiful one at that.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I liked this book as well! I don't know if you are a person who enjoys movies based on books, but this movie is coming out soon with Rachel McAdams as Claire and Eric Bana as Henry.

Marg said...

I remember reading the last few pages of this book and not just crying but absolutely sobbing my heart out. If it is still to be called crying then it would be that ugly cry where you just can't stop!

Great book!

Karen said...

Thanks Laura - I didn't know there was going to be a movie version of this book. Not sure how I feel about this! Do you think you will see it?
Marg - I completely understand about the ugly cry!

Stephanie said...

I read this a few years ago and had to keep putting the book down so I could sob. I don't think another book has ever affected me that way. Amazing, isn't it? Such a beautiful story, and so moving...I think I'll pass on the movie version- nothing could be as good as the movie in my head when I was reading the book itself. :)

Karen said...

Thanks Stephanie - I think I agree with you about the movie.

Anonymous said...

hey, has anyone been on www.pollthepeople.com ???
amongst a very ecclectic list of the top books of all time, niffenegger ranks highly - good to see something other than Harry Potter!
i'm working for the site this summer and i just got niffenegger's top five books which will be on the site soon so check up in a day or two!