April 27, 2009

Library Loot This Week


As I am sure many people can consistently relate to I keep picking up more and more books from my library even though I still haven't finished (or in some cases even started) the books I picked up at my last visit - it's like a compulsion to collect and stock pile as though some book related nuclear event is about to fall down upon us! Oh well!

The two books I have collected (so far!) this week are:


Beijing Blur by James West - the story of an Australian journalist in China. I picked this one up when I saw it because not only does it look like an interesting book but I still haven't read any books for The World Citizen Challenge so I need to get a move on!


The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale - I have heard so many terrific things about this book and I have been meaning to read it for ages. I am also going to hear the author speak at the Sydney Writers Festival at the end of May so I want to have finished it by then.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh...you just reminded me that i have a few books out that i haven't finished...they are overdue. :( lucky i volunteer at the library tomorrow--i'll have to remember to bring them with me.

lately i've only been borrowing audio books because i don't have enough time to read all the books i have on my nightstand!

Karen said...

Hi booklineandsinker - it sounds like you collect books from the library like me!! I like the idea of "reading" audiobooks but I usually only have the time to do that when I am travelling.

megan said...

Beijing Blur sounds great - just skimmed the extract at the Penguin website, and I think I'm going to need to add it to my list!!

(says the girl who said she doesn't read non-fiction although she's read more of it this year than she has in her life :D)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I've been really wanting to read Suspicions...look forward to hearing what you think! I'm holding out for a used copy, but I might have to break down and find another copy before then.

Steph said...

Oh, I really want to read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, too! I'm not sure how likely I am to find a used copy of it, but it really sounds like it's the exact kind of book I would love! Can't wait to hear your thoughts (so far everyone who's read it seems to enjoy it).

Karen said...

Hi Megan - I seem to go in waves in regards to reading non-fiction - if the book is about a person/topic/country I am really interested in than I will read quite a bit of it. I'm probably the opposite of you so far this year though - it's been mainly fiction for me.

Hi Trish - yes, that's why I got my copy from the library! I'm not sure I've even seen it in bookshops over here.

Hi Steph - I know, I don't think I've heard a bad thing about this book so far which is always a good thing.

Linda said...

I sadly took books back to the library this week without even starting them. My tbr pile is too big!

Karen said...

Hi Linda - that's exactly what I usually end up doing too!! I've started to make a list of the books I take back to the library without reading them - it is already quite a long list!