October 24, 2010

Friends, Shoes and Books

I'm writing this post on my brand new computer (with thanks to my IT savvy partner for setting it up for me so beautifully!). I feel some sense of loss having to say goodbye to my old computer, it had been my faithful sidekick for 5 years now but unfortunately it had no more capacity for growth so it had to be replaced. So far so good with my new piece of technology - I'm settling into its style - I just need a name for it - any suggestions??
I've had a lovely weekend - although the weather hasn't always been so lovely. A gorgeous spring day on Saturday - the perfect day to catch up for brunch with one of my best friends and go shoe and book shopping!
I headed to one of my favourite shoe shops, Nine West and bought some gorgeous summer sandals (I was supposed to be looking for new work shoes but these were much more fun!).I also treated myself to two new books, Shall We Dance by Maggie Alderson and A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I never plan the shoe shopping, typically end up getting far more than what I set out for. Would love to here how 'shall we dance' pans out...couldn't decide on buying it earlier on....

Anonymous said...

Books and shoes are the perfect combo! I love shopping for both. :-)

verity said...

Hehe - I forgot that you live on the other side of the world and was thinking - why is she buying SANDALS? I just bought a woolly hat and am eyeing up gloves...

Am interested to see the Maggie Alderson - is that new? I used to read her columns in I think the Times, and read one of her novels.

Tamara said...

OOh, I just love those sandals.... Looks like a profitable afternoon:) Suggestions for naming the new addition: the techno version 'Puta', the homey version 'TIM' (The Ideal Mate), or the literary version 'Darcy'....or something more feminine 'Shiba' (as in Toshiba. I know you'll take your time to find the right name - so good luck!

Nadia said...

Sounds like such a fun time- shopping with a friend for shoes and books ;)And those sandals are cute - love the color! And I love Dawn French - she is hilarious! Great buys!

Buried In Print said...

So true: buying work shoes is no fun at all when there are fun shoes to tempt instead.

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

ooh yes a name for your new computer. You've made me think how sad it will be when this one dies, hopefully not for a very, very long time, as it's where I started my blogging adventure.
ps Lovely to see summer sandals as I contemplate winter boots...

Karen said...

Hi Upasna - I wasn't sure about buying Shall We Dance either but when I saw the cover I was convinced!Not always the smartest way to buy books I know!

Hi softdrink - Me too!! They never fail to disappoint.

Hi Verity - That is funny!! Although our weather over the weekend definitely wasn't sandal weather unfortunately - hopefully this weekend will be much nicer and I can break out the sandals!

Hi T - thanks for the name suggestions! I'm still thinking about it - I feel I need to get used to it first!

Hi Nadia - I love Dawn French too but I haven't read any of her writing before so I will be interested to see how this one goes.

Hi Buried In Print - I know! But now I have to try and find shoes to wear to work this week!!

Hi Joan - I have been so jealous seeing all of your lovely summer posts the last few months so I'm glad our summer is finally on its way!