May 16, 2010

A Good Story


Coming to the end of another weekend and it has been a good one apart from the head cold that seems to be developing rather than disappearing.

I caught up with one of my close friends on Saturday morning for coffee (or chai tea as it turned out) and among other things we of course discussed books. My friend said she was going looking for her next book that afternoon and she was on the hunt for a "good story" and it clicked with me that that was exactly what I was wanting in my reading at the moment. A good story filled with characters that entertained and informed, a variety of settings and locations, drama and passion but most of all - a book that takes me on an adventure.

So, I went out looking for that "good story" too. I ended up coming home with The Peacock Throne by Sujit Saraf - I had never heard of the book or the author before but I was intrigued by the description of the book and by this review.

I am about 50 pages in so far and I think I have found the "good story" I was seeking...

Has anyone else got any recommendations for books they would describe as a good, or even great, story?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm always on the look out for a good story! I was going to suggest Water for Elepahnts, but then I spotted it in your sidebar - perhaps I half saw it in advance! My mind has gone blank now - I look forward to seeing what others suggest!

Iliana said...

Hope you feel better!

I hope your book continues to be a good one. A good book I'm reading right now is Rumor Has It by Jill Mansell. I guess it's a bit chicklit but it's light and funny so it fits the bill for what I want now.

Karen said...

Hi Jackie - I am so glad that you rate Water For Elephants as a great story. It is the latest book chosen by my book group and I have to say I wasn't all that keen to read it at first but I am getting more enthused now!

Hi Iliana - I am feeling much better now thank you! The book you mention sounds like the perfect holiday book!

B said...

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Great story!